Organic Mexican Chocolate Cake
Don't make the mistake of confusing Mexican chocolate cake with your average Joe chocolate cake. This chocolate cake is gooey and chocolatey with a strong streak of cinnamon and the slightest hint of red pepper.
The cake is typically topped with a cinnamon caramel glaze. We chose to add chocolate to the glaze to make it even richer.
The melding together of such disparate flavors is what makes this cake so delicious and memorable.
Go on and make some memories, with our Organic Chocolate Cake Mix and Organic Chocolate Pudding Mix to help you along the way!
For the cake
- 1 box of European Gourmet Bakery Organic Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 box of European Gourmet Bakery Organic Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 and 1/3 cup of water
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 heavy cream
- 3 oz dark chocolate, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
Total time : 1 hour 15 minutes
PREP - Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Grease the cake pan and keep ready.
MIX - In a large bowl, add the cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs, water, cinnamon and red pepper. Whisk well till blended completely.
BAKE - Pour batter into the baking pan and bake for 30 -35 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the cake to check if it comes out clean. Once done, take cake out of the oven.
- COOL - Once done, take cake out of the oven and allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes.
Chocolate Caramel Glaze
- MELT - Add sugar to a heavy-bottomed pan and heat on medium low, while stirring constantly, till the sugar completely melts. Take the molten sugar syrup off the heat and add in the heavy cream. Mix well as the mixture starts to bubble up. Put the pan back on low to medium heat and cook till the mixture is completely blended and smooth. Don't forget to keep stirring constantly, or you'll burn the sugar!
- MIX - To the caramel mixture you just made, add the chocolate and salt, vanilla extract and cinnamon and cook on low heat. Keep whisking continuously till the chocolate melts into the caramel leaving a smooth creamy chocolate caramel mixture.
- POUR - Pour the Chocolate Caramel Glaze evenly all over your Mexican Chocolate cake. Spread it with a spatula to coat it uniformly all over. Add fresh fruit as garnish if desired. Refrigerate the glazed cake to help the glaze solidify better before serving.