Gluten-free Vegan Orange Cookies
Ever since I discovered how cake mix makes such wonderfully light cookies, there's been no stopping me! I grabbed the last few fresh oranges of the season and filled my kitchen with the smell of vacation and lazy afternoons by the pool.
This recipe uses Cherrybrook Kitchen's Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix, which is also peanut and treenut free, dairy-free and vegan. The perfect base for an allergen-free cookie that turned out oh-so-delicious!
- 1 box of Cherrybrook Kitchen Gluten-free Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly scraped orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
Yields : 20 cookies
Total time : 45 minutes (includes 30 minutes cooling time for the dough)
- PREHEAT - Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C).
MIX - In a large bowl, mix the mashed banana, oil, orange zest and orange juice till the mixture becomes fluffy. Now add the Cherrybrook Kitchen Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix, and combine well. Refrigerate your cookie dough to make it easier to shape into cookies. Keep it in the fridge for about 30 minutes or so.
- SCOOP - Scoop out uniform cookie dough balls with an ice cream scoop onto a lined cookie sheet. Flatten them a little with the base of a glass. Leave enough room between cookie dough balls to allow them to expand as they bake.
- BAKE - Bake at 350 degerees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes or until the top starts looking slightly crisp. I like my cookies to have a slight crunch, so I keep them in for a couple more minutes.
- COOL - Let your cookies rest for about 20 minutes once they're out of the oven.
Now grab your cup of coffee (mine was made with Tempt Hemp Original Unsweetened Hemp Milk), a good book (The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho is my pick) and your freshly baked orange cookies for the perfect way to spend an evening.